Re: small Linux with X?

__/ [ Bruce Coryell ] on Friday 10 March 2006 11:26 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> __/ [ hack_tick ] on Friday 10 March 2006 06:44 \__
>>

>>>hi Guys!
>>>
>>>I am looking for some good Linux distro, with support for X-Desktop
>>>environment
>>>the target system is an old Intel-P2 with 32Mb Ram and 1.2Gb Hard disk,
>>>I intend to use this system for basic websurfing, reading PDF along
>>>with K-Office or similar for wordprocessing and spreadsheet
>>>applications using X-Environment.
>>>
>>>any suggestions??
>>

>> Have a look at the list:
>>
>> http://www.linuxlinks.com/Distributions/Mini_Distributions/
>>
>> This question is being asked in the newsgroups every other week. Others
>> will recommend a very particular lightweight distribution primarily due to
>> (narrow) personal experience. Use your judgement to assess the above. Also
>> see:
>>
>> http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/
>>
>> Hope it helps,
>>
>> Roy
>>

> Keep in mind that, historically, one of the things Linux was touted for
> is that it didn't need the heavy hardware requirements of of MS
> operating systems.  Lately, with advent of large footprint Red Hat,
> Mandriva, and Debian distros (and their clones and derivatives), Linux
> has been moving away from that.

...Exception is: you have a /choice/ because everything is modular. Choose
the pieces that are not too large and build your own O/S, or take a suitable
distribution off the shelf. Nothing was ever lost. /Choice/ for eye candy
and bloat has been added.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    YaSTall SuSE to figure out the magic
  3:40pm  up 2 days  8:17,  7 users,  load average: 0.25, 0.43, 0.44