Re: Ctrl+Alt+Delete - Important in Bad Platforms

__/ [ Bobbie ] on Friday 10 March 2006 16:42 \__

> While dancing and signing to Enya's Carribean Blue, Roy Schestowitz
> exclaimed:
>
>> Find out who made CTRL+ALT+Delete so popular. Watch the video:
>>
>> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3877405527381660901
>

> Man, did you see the blank stare Gates gave to David Bradley, when Bradley
> said that he may have created the 'Ctrl-Alt-Del' sequence, but Bill made
> it famous.
>
> Burn, baby Burn!

The  argument  remains  valid to date. Ctrl+Alt+Delete remains  that  'red
alert'  sequence,  which indicates something had gone wrong. Repeated  se-
quences  as  such reboot the computer, which is adverse to  intuition.  No
easy way to do this in POSIX-type operating systems, which is a good sign.
It is utterly unnecessary

Nowadays,  the infamous Ctrl+Alt+Delete is extended. It serves as a  panel
for system monitoring, password changes, and so forth. Ctrl+Alt+Delete has
become  such  a fundamenental piece of knowledge that every computer  user
simply  /must/ be familiar with. Even the dumbest among the computer user-
scommunity  have the skills needed to reboot or rid themselves from an of-
fending  process/application.  Is this how "ease of use" is perceived  and
defined by Microsoft? I rest one case.

Take  GNOME  as a contrary example. If an application is detected to  have
reached a halt, GNOME will prompt the user with a two-option pop-up, which
enables  the  application to be shut down or be left alone.  This  happens
very, very rarely.

Let  us look a little deeper, shall we? Linux has far better functionality
for achieving the needed task and circumventing unexpected perils. Consid-
er  the  case where access from the outside (text-based  terminal  without
root  privileges  should suffice) enables the user the get rid off  rotten
processes. Then, consider the expressiveness of operations such as:

reboot

kill

killall -HUP <app-name>

Could  it be any simpler? Could a GUI ever make it easier to analyse  what
goes  on  underneath and then intervene? Well, guess what... KDE has  this
option.  Not  only  does  it enable one to kill  processes  from  the  GUI
(Ctrl+Esc, which I find to be more logical than "delete", as well as easi-
er to reach if you are handicapped or have a single hand), but it also al-
lows  you to 'swat' them using Ctrl+Alt+Esc, then 'smacking' the  unwanted
windows.  On top (pun intended), you can also change virtual terminal  and
move  to  tty1, for example, using wonderful text-based tools  like  'top'
(gives more details than Windows does) to remove rogue processes.

So Windows, in that respect, is far behind GNU/Linux. Windows /depends/ on
the ability to force a reboot, but its facilities for achieving it are the
equivalent of a pool cue for field plowing.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Software patents destroy innovation
  4:45pm  up 2 days  9:22,  7 users,  load average: 0.28, 0.62, 0.59