Re: Mandriva Linux One Screenshots

__/ [ nton ] on Friday 10 March 2006 17:19 \__

> On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 19:28:57 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> __/ [ raunsi ] on Thursday 09 March 2006 18:32 \__
>>
>>> [quoted text muted]
>>
>> ...Thought it might interest a few rather than kick off a discussion.
>> Pictures give good and concise insight into future upgrades.
>
> Thanks for the link. I think Mandriva One could be just the thing to re
> awaken interest in Mandy relative to other distros. I think Ubuntu has
> good package management but still like the tools for a newbie that
> Mandriva has. Making a one cd install with an option to check to see if it
> works on your hardware before installation is the way to go.

I used Mandriva on two machines in the past, but one of the experiences
(Mandrake 9.2) was less successful than the other. I had a friend migrated
from Windows to Linux Mandriva 2006 and he liked it far more than Ubuntu 5,
which I installed for him initially. I am not a GNOME person. Neither was
he. Hardware compatibility in Mandriva was better too as far as I could
tell, but maybe it was down to kernel versions.

        Michael Dell: "If we say we like Ubuntu, then people will say we picked the
wrong one. If we say we like and support Ubuntu, Novell, Red Hat, and
Xandros, then someone would ask us, 'Why don't you support Mandriva? The
challenge we have with picking one is that we think we'd disenchant the
other distributions' supporters."

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: 111111 X 111111 = 12345654321
  5:45pm  up 2 days 10:22,  7 users,  load average: 0.41, 0.52, 0.53