Re: Ctrl+Alt+Delete - Important in Bad Platforms

  • Subject: Re: Ctrl+Alt+Delete - Important in Bad Platforms
  • From: The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 00:00:07 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Linønut
<linønut@xxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Fri, 10 Mar 2006 16:01:45 -0600
<84ydnXM4zYPUaozZRVn-iA@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> __/ [ Bobbie ] on Friday 10 March 2006 16:42 \__
>>
>>> While dancing and signing to Enya's Carribean Blue, Roy Schestowitz
>>> exclaimed:

>> The  argument  remains  valid to date. Ctrl+Alt+Delete remains  that  'red
>> alert'  sequence,  which indicates something had gone wrong. Repeated  se-
>> quences  as  such reboot the computer, which is adverse to  intuition.  No
>> easy way to do this in POSIX-type operating systems, which is a good sign.
>
> Here's another (maybe little-known?) thing you can do in Linux:
>
>    Open a console terminal.
>    Type the command "sleep 20" at the $ prompt.
>    While it is sleeping, hit Ctrl-Backspace.
>
>    Instant core dump.

You sure you didn't mean Ctrl-Backslash?  That generates
a SIGQUIT (3).  And it doesn't appear to generate a core
dump in my case, though that may be because I have ulimit
-c 0.  Setting ulimit -c 8192 (the number is maximum size
of the core file in blocks) allows me to dump a core file.
Note that this can be done in a console or a X terminal.

Of course the core is for the program "sleep"; not horribly
useful. :-)

Ctrl-Alt-Delete does nothing, although vi seems to respond
to the Delete.  Ctrl-Alt-Backspace will force X down --
handy under certain conditions.

And of course Ctrl-Alt-F1 through F6 will switch the display from X to
a console.  (Depending on configuration, Ctrl-Alt-F7 through
Ctrl-Alt-F12 might also work.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Vista.  Because everyone wants a really slick-looking 8-sided wheel.