Re: Cross-platform whiteboard software?

  • Subject: Re: Cross-platform whiteboard software?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 15:09:15 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
__/ [ J. Clarke ] on Monday 13 March 2006 12:48 \__

> Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz wrote:
>
>> A couple of releases ago IBM bundled into OS/2 an electronic
>> whiteboard, which allowed a user at multiple locations to draw
>> pictures visible to the other users. I'd like to know whether there is
>> a cross platform program available with similar capabilities. At a
>> minimum it should run under Linux 2.6 and several versions of windoze.
>>
>> As background, I'm used to explaining things at a board, with chalk or
>> a marker in my hand. I recently tried to help my daughter with some
>> Abstract Algebra homeowrk, and found the restriction to voice to be
>> very frustrating.
>

> I haven't tried it but you might want to take a look at mlb
> <http://www.informatik.uni-mannheim.de/pi4/projects/mlb/>.  There are both
> Windows and Linux versions.
>
> The latest versions of gaim have whiteboard support on messaging systems
> that support such functionality.
>
> Another approach if you have videoconferencing set up is to just point the
> camera at a piece of paper and write on the paper--you can even use a real
> whiteboard for that.

        Apart from searching the Web, I can't offer anything but...

        A shot in the dark: my initial inclination I have is to opt for Web-based
solutions. They put an end to cross-platform issues (usually or ideally). I
can recall the following

http://web.okaygo.co.uk/apps/letters/flashcom/

which could easily be converted into a 'chalkboard'. I suggest you seek an
on-line service that provides something similar or use one of the vacant
fridges to draw things as your daughter views it on the other end.

        I agree it can be frustrating to draw in this way (other people could become
disruptive too by moving elements), so maybe seek a Flash-based chalkboard.
It's bandwidth consuming, so this might cost. I tend to believe it already
exists; somewhere.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz
  3:00pm  up 5 days  7:37,  7 users,  load average: 0.43, 0.45, 0.29