Re: [Article] Google awaits ruling in data spat

  • Subject: Re: [Article] Google awaits ruling in data spat
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 05:24:15 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
__/ [ Paul B ] on Tuesday 14 March 2006 22:27 \__

> From : http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4804182.stm
>
> Google is awaiting a US court ruling on whether it must hand over
> records and lists of data to the government.
> The Justice Department wants Google to provide a week's worth of
> search records, saying it needs the data to help it better police
> cyberspace.
>
> But Google complains that complying with the request would compromise
> its business and the privacy of its users.

They would never want to do that, would they? Assembling UseNet CD's from the
80's could never quite compare to aggregated (anonymised) numbers from
queries that seek child pr0n.

Either way, well done Google for snubbing a 'nanny government'. It's starts
with a little futile subpoena that could never truly stop the perverts and
it moves on to greater things, in due time. Precedence is what it's about.
In terms of censorship, we are past the point of seeking litigious
precedence.

__/ [ Who Turned Off The Lights? ] on Wednesday 15 March 2006 02:12 \__

> On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 22:40:46 GMT, Sam wrote:
>
>> The first thing Hitler did was crack down on pornography in Germany when
>> he took over, the second thing he did was burn all the books (except for
>> his own that he wrote). So if history repeats itself that means George
>> Bush will order the military to set all the libraries on fire but first
>> he'll write his autobiography (oh boy I just can not wait to read it).
>
> BUSH PRESIDENTIAL LIBRARY DESTROYED BY FLOOD
>
> Crawford, Texas -- A tragic flood this morning destroyed the personal
> library of President George W. Bush. The flood began in the presidential
> bathroom where the books were kept. Both of his books have been lost. A
> presidential spokesman said the president was devastated, as he had almost
> finished coloring the second one. The White House tried to call FEMA but
> there was no answer.
>

> I just couldn't resist sharing that bit of info. :-)

The George Bush page in Wikipedia is one of the biggest battlegrounds on that
site. I don't know if page history will still reflect on what is happening
'behind the scenes'.