Re: (Article) Worthless Content Blamed on Search Engines

  • Subject: Re: (Article) Worthless Content Blamed on Search Engines
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 10:45:04 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
__/ [ xyZed ] on Wednesday 15 March 2006 09:41 \__

> There is circumstantial evidence that on Thu, 02 Mar 2006 03:10:42
> +0000,  Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
>
>>?   The whole backlinks system wil collapse. It is then that a second Web,
>>or an (electronic) library with
>>?   peer-reviewed journals should begin to rise. The net will lose its
>>?   credibility and, as you suggest, be perceived as a dumpster of dross
>>and
>>?   drivel.
>
> That's a very interesting thought, and one I can see actually
> happening.

I recently had a lengthy correspondence with a French academic in my field.
He expressed similar genuine worries over the rise of the Web as a resource
for academia. To quote:

"I'm not sure I get all the point, but I think it would finally come to
oppose big publication farms (IEEE, Elsevier, etc) to free & distributed
systems like Citeseer."

I couldn't agree more. This was said in reply to:

"What it boils down to is a scenario where publication on the Web is more
rapidly accessible. I estimate that thousands of people in my research
area visit my site every month, specifically for research-related
activities and interests. So what gives? Paper-form publications are
deem to reach a state of constant demise. They may be the 'currency' in
people's resumes, but they only collect dust on the shelves while
failing to get read very frequently, let alone be cited."

I can't say that's a good thing. Prepare for the 'avalanche'.