Re: Reliability FUD Campaign

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Wed, 15 Mar 2006 06:38:57 +0000
<dv8ctl$1qg0$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/3629/106/
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The chief Linux guru at Microsoft believes that Windows will maintain
> | its dominance in the desktop space and increase its share in the server
> | space because it is more reliable than Linux.
> `----

It might be, if one squints extra hard while jumping up and down on
one foot with a light bulb in one's mouth.

Or something.

:-)

As it is, I think he's got it slightly wrong.  I think Windows will
maintain its dominance in the desktop space and increase its share in
the server space because many people are slightly brain-dead.  :-P

And does it matter anyway?  Most servers provide services.  Linux is
winning in that area because it's more efficient.  Once Microsoft
realizes that we might have some *real* competition.

But desktops aren't about CPU utilization efficiency.  They're about
getting the work done without muss or fuss.  Of course it may depend on
what "work" is in this context, especially since everyone's moving
towards open formats and away from Microsoft Word-style stuff.  (Not
that OpenOffice can't handle Word-style stuff; it does very well in that
area, in fact.)

So who will win?  Good question.  I think Linux has "the buzz", but it's
a long, drawn-out war I see.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Vista.  Because everyone wants a really slick-looking 8-sided wheel.