Re: Dynamic IP vs Static IP

__/ [ RG ] on Wednesday 15 March 2006 19:50 \__

> Do any of the search engines penalize you for hosting a web site using
> dynamic ip?
>
> Thanks in advance

Provided that the domain name (and DNS servers) always point to the active
site,regardless  of its assigned address, I don't believe that search  en-
gines  should penalise. It would be discriminatory, but I can't give you a
definite  answer, which requires insight into the algorithms. A  non-fixed
IP  could suggest that the site is dodgy or is bound to be inaccessible at
times, which is not desired in the surfer's eye.

As  a less relevant note, if your host cannot affix an IP address, I  sug-
gest  you  consider looking elsewhere. If you host your site  locally  (on
your workstation), I suggest you seek a host. It's better in the long term
and not expensive either; not more expensive than OpenDNS, for instance.

Hope it helps,