Re: Kororaa liveCD - Anyone have luck with it?

  • Subject: Re: Kororaa liveCD - Anyone have luck with it?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 19:03:44 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ B Gruff ] on Sunday 19 March 2006 18:19 \__

> On Sunday 19 March 2006 16:52 Larry Qualig wrote:
>
>> Has anyone else tried the Kororaa live CD and gotten it to boot? I
>> wasn't plan on doing much with it other than seeing this XGL stuff
>> first hand. Eventually there will be other XGL liveCD's so I guess I'll
>> just have to wait for those to get released.
>
> Yep.
> It didn't come up on my own (ATI) card, but worked fine on the wife's
> nVidia Like you, I wasn't about to do anything serious - just wanted to
> look what the fuss is about.
> I'm not at all keen on the "wobbling" - clever, but "why?".
> The "put your 4 desktops around a cube and rotate the cube" ... I dunno -
> maybe...
>
> - how's that for enthusiasm?:-)

Given the sheer number of people who have already 'taken it for a spin', I
think it is no longer "unique". I saw it for the first time when it hit
Slashdot over 6 months ago (video from the developer's, in alpha or
incomplete).

The increasing popularity (or prevalence rather) of XGL makes such 'eye
candy' impractical and even repellent. Some of the more cunning visual
tricks are better replaced by quicker, less resource-greedy navigation
methods like the pager (revolving cube) and pager previews (windows previews
/a la/ Vista 3-D mode, even OS X).

My two cents,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Oops. My brain just hit a bad sector"
http://Schestowitz.com  |    SuSE Linux    ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  6:55pm  up 11 days 11:32,  11 users,  load average: 0.03, 0.22, 0.32