Re: Linux Dedicated Hosting???

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 21:30:12 +0000
Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> opined:
> __/ [ David Cary Hart ] on Sunday 19 March 2006 19:19 \__
>
> > Is anyone in this forum using dedicated hosting that they
> > are actually pleased with? So many of the web hosts have RBL
> > problems. Godaddy looked decent until I realized that they are
> > using Fedora 2 (in contrast to FC4 [FC5 as of tomorrow]).
>

> FC 2 is more stable than the latter. You should be p;eased that
> they did not upgrade this. I discussed it in depth in the Linux
> newsgroups this afternoon. The Computer Science department I am
> affiliated with still uses FC2 and FC in general is more of a
> testing ground for RHEL.

Two servers running FC4. I cannot tell you how strongly I disagree.
FC4 is infinitely more stable and faster than FC2. Going back to PHP
4.3 would break several applications including all of the graphs.
Ultimately too many LAMP compatibility issues.

Because of some base differences, trying to upgrade individual
packages like HTTPD and PHP creates dependency hell. Then there are
GCC issues. Since I compile many RPMS myself. I would have to retreat
my workstation to FC2 which is a major fiasco.

--
                    Displayed Email Address is a SPAM TRAP
Our DNSRBL -