Re: Repeat after me: No more Linux desktop forks

  • Subject: Re: Repeat after me: No more Linux desktop forks
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 07:29:10 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ AZ Nomad ] on Sunday 19 March 2006 23:59 \__

> On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 23:52:41 GMT, Lobo <not@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT3601556298.html
>
>>"If the Linux community continues to have significant desktop forks, ISVs
>>(independent software vendors) will continue to be reluctant to write for
>>Linux."
>
> That's only if they're totally ignorant of the fact that all linux
> desktops share the same windowing system and are intercompatible.
> IE: if you run gnome, you can run kde apps and visa versa.  Run twm or a
> lightweight windowing manager and you can still run kde and gnome apps,
> etc.

Precisely.

That's not what the competitors would have you believe though. The
competition revolves around its ability to number distributions and make
Linux seem impossible to master. Liars like Ballmer would suggest that Linux
is fragmented. It's a fallacy and stereotype that we must remove from
people's minds.