Re: THE INTERNET in the year 2006 has become a scary place.

  • Subject: Re: THE INTERNET in the year 2006 has become a scary place.
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 00:35:56 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Monday 20 March 2006 15:32 \__

> "You run a Windows computer without anti-virus protection or forget to
> update your software, boom, your computer is taken over by the bad guys
> and serves as part of abotnet, a zombie army of home computers that are
> the source of more than 80 per cent of junk e-mail, among other
> nastiness.
>
> "Odds are that more than half the Windows users reading this column
> have computers that have been compromised in some manner without their
> owners knowing it.
>
> "One solution is to switch your computer from Windows to the Open
> Source operating system Linux."
>
> http://thechronicleherald.ca/Science/491073.html

Excellent piece. Thanks for sharing.

I have always suspected that a large proportion of spam is being sent from
compromised machines, as well as these DDOS attacks, both of which affect
*everyone* as they are 'inter-operable'.

While it is too early to illegalise the use of the Windows platform (it is
too prevalent), it is possible to fine the user for the damages it causes.
We took this approach over here, but I hope it extends and becomes
commonplace.

You get what you paid for. Use sh*t, eat sh*t.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Disclaimer: no SCO code used to generate this post
 12:30am  up 12 days 17:07,  8 users,  load average: 0.81, 0.61, 0.58