Re: The Playstation 3 Runs Linux

  • Subject: Re: The Playstation 3 Runs Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 20:07:58 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Tuesday 21 March 2006 17:10 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> When the Playstation hard-drive was introduced (many months back), it was
>> already known that it would run Linux. Finally, the press confirms:
>>
>> PLAYSTATION 3 to Arrive in Early November 2006 with Linux
>>
>> http://www.linuxelectrons.com/article.php/2006031511012712
>>                         (one among many)
>
> I wonder how much it will be, and I also wonder whether it will prove a
> suitable platform for 'media centre' work, like a PVR or whatever.  If
> it's less expensive and less noisy & power hungry than a standard PC, it
> could be very interesting...

I think $450 or $550 is a number which I recently came across. Bear in mind,
however, that hardware is unlikely to be 'subsidised' by the vendor. The
XBox 360 will capitalise on the latency of the PS3, but I suspect the latter
will not have overheating problems. Fan burnouts due to excessive use of
power (inefficiency, viruses, etc.) is something only one company masters.
And that company ain't Sony, I assure you! *smile*

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Falsity implies anything
  8:00pm  up 13 days 12:37,  7 users,  load average: 1.82, 0.96, 0.73