Re: Atheists distrusted in US

  • Subject: Re: Atheists distrusted in US
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 11:23:56 +0000
  • Newsgroups: uk.philosophy.humanism
__/ [ Roger Johansson ] on Friday 24 March 2006 02:34 \__

> graham wrote:
>
>> > "Atheists identified as America.s most distrusted minority, according to
>> > new U of M study"
>
>> 50 years ago, my Grandfather warned me to be careful in any business
>> dealings with overtly religious xtians and never, under any circumstances,
>> trust them.  He said that they always tried to screw you (he was more
>> polite
>> in his choice of words).  I have found that his advice has proved to be
>> correct, time and time again.
>
> I saw a program about some kind of re-born christians in USA the other
> day.
> They had 48% support in the whole country, 48% had gone through a
> ceremony to make them re-born christians. Their big hero is Bush.
>
> No wonder it is unusual and dangerous to be an atheist in such a
> country.
>
> Humanism has a little better position, because those fools think it
> means humanitarian.

I can still recall a story that hit the news some months ago. A lecturer in
Denver (or another middle state/city) was beaten up for teaching on
evolution or running a course that conflicted with the existence of Jehovah.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Have you compiled your kernel today?"
 11:20am  up 16 days  3:57,  8 users,  load average: 0.53, 0.56, 0.84