Re: Vista Musings

__/ [ Roy Culley ] on Saturday 25 March 2006 14:48 \__

> begin  risky.vbs
> <e03kuj$211g$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>
>> Since Vista development fell back to the Server 2003 codebase
>> (merely the same as XP, end of 2001) around September 2005 and
>> Microsoft announced feature freeze last night, would it be fair to
>> assume that the Vista milestone is the fruit of just 6 months in
>> development?
>
> From a 'feature' point of view yes. Vista will be little more than an
> XP SP. Only thing that is guaranteed is a load of new security bugs.

I was going to allude to security, but I tried to stick to a single sentence.
On several occasions in the past couple of days, Microsoft have admitted
that delays are primarily due to security (among other, secondary factors
they had listed). That _in its own right_ is a huge blow.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Turn up the jukebox and tell me a lie"
  1:15pm  up 17 days  5:52,  8 users,  load average: 2.39, 2.36, 2.19