Re: Microsoft: Schools Fail to Teach Computing

__/ [ Ian Hilliard ] on Saturday 25 March 2006 16:53 \__

> On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 13:32:53 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> This reminds me of the following essay, which I recommend.
>>
>> http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/ThePerilsofJavaSchools.html
>>
>> Joel used to manage the Excel team, but he now compiles his software for
>> Linux. In the essay, he whines about CS students who never really learned
>> *computing* and don't know the very fundamentals.
>>
>> Best wishes,
>>
>> Roy
>
> Great article. It glances along the edge of one of my pet hates. I call
> it the Windows programmer syndrome. It is a generation of programmers, who
> don't know how to do the basics. They have to call some special Windows
> API to do all the work for them.
>
> A recent example of this is some code to get the file name from the path
> name. The programmer created a new class wrapping shlwapi, instead of
> realizing that it is a simple string parsing task. With such programmers,
> it is no wonder that modern programs are so bloated and buggy.
>
> Ian

A lecture which was delivered to us at the LUG last year had quite an
'exhibit'. Apparently, a guy who applied for a job at a consultancy did not
know what the command line was, let alone seen one. I believe he had an
IT/CS degree. *gasp*

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: 85% of plant life in in the oceans
http://Schestowitz.com  |    SuSE Linux    ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  4:55pm  up 17 days  7:40,  8 users,  load average: 0.47, 0.41, 0.46