Re: Suse 9.3 <-> Windoze XP

  • Subject: Re: Suse 9.3 <-> Windoze XP
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 12:37:05 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
__/ [ Robert Hull ] on Sunday 26 March 2006 11:38 \__

> In alt.os.linux.suse, on Sun 26 March 2006 05:46, Paul Nash
> <webscool@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Can someone please point me to some simple instructions for hooking my
>> Windoze XP to my Suse 9.3.
>
> In Windoze, go into
>
>         Start / My Network Places / Set up a home or small office network
>
> then jump through whatever hoops it asks you to jump through
>

> In SUSE, go into
>
>         Yast / Network Services / Samba server
>
> and     Yast / Network Services / Samba client
>

> and follow the instructions.
>
> BTW, the names may be slightly different as I am using SUSE Linux 10.0
>

>> I have an ethernet cable between them but dont know how to set
>> anything up.
>
> Is this a crossover cable or an ordinary ethernet cable? If the latter,
> it won't work directly from one machine to the other as you will not be
> connecting to the correct pins.
>
> My advice would be to get yourself a cheap network hub or switch and
> connect the two machines via that. It won't cost much and gives you
> more flexibility.
>
>> I am having difficulty with modem on
>> Suse 9.3 and want if possible to access internet via Windoze.
>
> IMNSHO it would be better to have a real modem working with the Linux
> machine than to use Windoze to access the Internet in any way. YMMV

Good answer, but I would like to add an alternative option. If you seek to
migrate files as an 'odd one' rather than as part of a routine, you can just
SCP files from one machine to another. Make sure the two machines are
connected with a crossover wire and use SCP[1] on the Linux box and pscp.exe
[2] (or the likes of it) under Windows.

[1] pscp -r c:\windows_path you@linuxbox:destination_directory

OR

pscp -r you@linuxbox:directory/files c:\windows_path

[2] Get from: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

Hope it helps,

Roy

PS - Experience has taught me that pscp is far slower than scp, in practice.

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Open Source Othello: http://othellomaster.com
 12:30pm  up 18 days  2:15,  9 users,  load average: 0.40, 0.72, 0.91