Re: ajaxWrite Threatens Microsoft Word (Live)

In article <e09bfr$7ti$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,

> >> Have you filed a bug report to Microsoft Office?
> >
> > Eh, no?
>
> If you don't tell them, they will never improve.

Actually, I think they just might anyway :)

> They will fail to realise
> that their applications do not interact well *gasp* with the
> competition/peers.

It's hard to be me. :P

> >> The whole motive for using standardised tools is to *escape* the realms of
> >> close-source and break the financial shackles.
> >
> > Well, there's also the motives of all those millions upon millions of
> > users that would like a cheap or free alternative to Word and still be
> > compatible with it.
>
> That's a residue of lockins.

Obviously.

> Personally, I use PHP to manage my spreadsheets
> (I gave up on Calc due to portability and Docs2Go for Palm O/S due to
> Windows inclinations). At present, I would take Web-based solution any day.
> No cross-platform native application or mobile computer can replace that.
> Web-based solutions obviate any need for X Pee Pee and Vista Ka Ka (even
> through synchronisation to desktop).

Sure, but we're nowhere near that yet.

> > I know all of this. I have no need - personally - to be compatible
> > with Word. never use it. I am not the world, however, and I do realise
> > that there are lots and lots of people that not only want to, but need
> > to stay compatible with word. And since ajaxwrite uses Word-like icons
> > and saves documents with a .doc extension, it seems apparent that this
> > is their goal as well. They're not just there yet, and I don't really
> > expect them to be there yet.
>
> They don't need to bounce back to word. They open an account with ajaWrite,
> push their documents in that direction and that's where they ought to stay.

Well, the majority of computer users out there wouldn't be eager to
agree with you, I'm afraid.

--
Sandman[.net]