Re: Google's New Search Interface

__/ [ Who Turned Off The Lights? ] on Tuesday 28 March 2006 07:31 \__

> On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 06:02:08 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060326-6460.html
>
> Wellll, try as I may, I was unable to get it to work at all. But I found
> this other link:
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/Google/?p=140
>
> Which explained how to do a 'Toggle' Bookmark in Firefox which DID work for
> me.
>
> Good find Roy!
>
> Obviously it just moves what was on top to the left. Perhaps to test things
> out a bit and see what the reactions might be? It agrees with me. From left
> to right, I've always ignored those ads on the far right and have always
> paid attention to anything/everything on the far left.

It's relieving to see that the interface remains light-weight, unlike for
example, Yahoo and MSN (or even worse -- Live.com). Since they cannot offer
good results, they think that shiny interfaces will appeal to some
unenlightened users.

I notice that Google have added some indicators of volume, which might prove
useful. As regards ads, you can use AdBlock (among similar extensions or
CSS-override files) to remove clutter from Google SERP's. Even better, you
could get 100 results per page immediately, without 'noise'.

http://mycroft.mozdev.org/download.html?name=scroogle&submitform=Search

I will not comment further. *grin*

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Play Othello: http://othellomaster.com
  7:35am  up 19 days 21:20,  9 users,  load average: 3.60, 1.53, 1.01