Re: Stats software

__/ [ Borek ] on Tuesday 28 March 2006 12:14 \__

> On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 13:01:03 +0200, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>> As a related matter, could anyone explain how to handle with the
>>> DYNAMIC IP
>>> that is provided by my ISP? The problem is that visits from my own
>>> computer
>>> are also counted by my current web stat, although I exclude my IP's
>>> . As it is changing, it leads to nowhere. Any clues?
>
>> I can't think of a tool that will achieve this, but if your IP addresses
>> reside on the same C/D block, e.g. 145.24.24.*, then you could quickly
>> scan
>> the log the file and remove any lines that match the pattern in
>> question. I
>> am sure that a built-in GNU/Linux tool can achieve this, but it needs
>> some
>> research.
>
> What browser do you use (you==Paul)? Are you able to modify user agent
> string? I think it can be done in FF and somehow in Opera, althought don't
> ask me about details - all I have seen is here
>
> http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=76301
>
> Now, if you can - just add some "HJKLHJ" id string to user agent name and
> filter it out from logs before analyzing them.
>
> Best,
> Borek

Good idea, Borek. I am doing this in Firefox (don't ask!) and the extension
can be found _here_:

http://chrispederick.com/work/useragentswitcher/

Pitfalls:

* Need to change user-agent string setup whenever Firefox is started (can put
a quick switcher in the toolbar though).

* Certain sites will deny access, notably banks

* Other sites will suffer from false statistics.

You could then:

,----[ Command ]

| grep "HJKLHJ" log_file >your_stats

`----

I don't know to to negative this operation or 'subtract' one file from
another

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "This sig seemed like a good idea at the time..."
 12:15pm  up 20 days  2:00,  8 users,  load average: 0.91, 0.98, 0.97