Re: Can linking to my other (non-related) sites hurt

  • Subject: Re: Can linking to my other (non-related) sites hurt
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 17:25:25 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
__/ [ www.1-script.com ] on Tuesday 28 March 2006 16:53 \__

> xyZed wrote:
>
>> If you have a successful site about widgets, where thousands of links
>> (majority internal) are related to and using (the term) widgets, is
>> there any evidence that putting a few dozen links up under the heading
>> "other sites by me" that have absolutely nothing to do with
>> widgets
>> may be detrimental to SEO?
>
> I don't think such evidence exists. Besides, it is a common practice. Just
> don't go overboard and don't add it to your site's template, and you'll be
> all right. If very concerned, simply add those links to "About Us" page
> only. Just to get the search engines bots humming and not so much for PR
> distribution.

Think about Web designers that build sites on vampires (example from AWW,
earlier today) and link back to the Webmaster from every page. The links are
not related to the theme of the pages and are perhaps irrelevant, yet they
convey a certain relationship and should not justify a penalty.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
  5:20pm  up 20 days  7:05,  8 users,  load average: 0.69, 0.66, 0.45