Re: Releasing New Hotsync Configuration

__/ [ Kevin Eckart ] on Wednesday 29 March 2006 20:39 \__

>> __/ [ Kevin Eckart ] on Wednesday 29 March 2006 18:25 \__
>>
>>> We have one server running Hotsync and Palm Desktop that several
>>> different
>>> Palm's sync to, each one to a specific user. They use the traditional
>>> cradle connected to PC to access the Hotsync on the server. We are
>>> beginning to rollout new Ethernet cradles to our remote locations
>>> effectively eliminating the need for a PC at that location. My question
>>> is
>>> how can I remotely change their Hotsync configuration file on their Palm
>>> use the Ethernet cradle.
>>>
>>> TIA,
>>> Kevin
>>
>> Hi, my best *guess* (so please don't count on it) is that you will need to
>> use GPRS, Bluetooth or other wireless methodologies to synchronise. I do
>> not
>> believe that Ethernet can have packets channelled in this way and
>> ultimately
>> be routed to HotSync Manager. I can envision how this can be achieved in
>> Linux, but it would not be simple. You could pipe the input from a
>> particular port number on eth0 to a device that corresponds to your
>> cradle.
>> Sounds like a nightmare to set up.
>>
>> Best wishes,
>>
>> Roy
>
> Is their a file on the server that can be synced to the Palm to add the
> modem configuration for the ethernet cradle? For a while, they will still
> have the PC at the remote location to use to sync to the server.

This would probably require a Palm engineer. What is the purpose of these
synchronisations? Are users collaborating on the same calendars? Must they
have a desktop front-end to their data? Is it purely for backup purposes?

If all you strive to achieve is backup and data resilience, all Palm users
can dump a copy of the files to an SD card and put it(/them) in a drawer. I
have 2 SD cards which I use for backups while I travel (I gave away my
laptop recently). I suggest you consider that as a possibility. What's more,
and SD card can be read using a USB card reader, shall it ever be needed,
and then opened in Palm Desktop.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Open Source Othello: http://othellomaster.com
  8:15am  up 21 days 22:00,  10 users,  load average: 0.23, 0.37, 0.60