Re: Microsoft on the slippery slope?

On 2006-03-30, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Microsoft are changing. In fact, they has already done so by moving to We-
> b-based services (notably Live which will incorporate Live Office Applica-
> tions).  Thus  far, Microsoft are not doing well.

 In general, I agree. See my .sig, for example. I don't think Microsoft
(or GM) will vanish, but what survives won't look much like their former
incarnations.

> Bill Gates has  said  on
> various  occasions that services are the future, indirectly implying  that
> he  hasn't much trust in the prospects of Windows, Office and the rest  of
> the flagships.

 That's long-term, though. For the next few years Windows and Office
will continue to be the core of their business, and the main reason
anyone considers buying from them at all.

--
 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                         (313) 227-2317

 "Choice, flexibility and cost are really the driving factors [for
 Linux adoption]. And Microsoft would have to stop being Microsoft
          to ever compete with that combination." - emkey