Re: Will applications that run on v9.3 run on v10?

  • Subject: Re: Will applications that run on v9.3 run on v10?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 13:52:22 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
__/ [ Mark Hellman ] on Sunday 30 April 2006 16:55 \__

> Pat wrote:
>
>> I have some technical software that will run on SuSE 9.3 Professional,
>> according to the system requirements.  Would this likely run on SuSE 10 or
>> 10.1 as well?  I'm planning to give SuSE Linux a try (after having been in
>> the Windows world for the past 12 years) and would like to try the latest
>> version, but would like to be able to run this app as well.
>
> Since the SuSE versions are close to each other, most likely it will work.
> Once in a while, when installing proprietary software, that are issues with
> system libraries versions. But this can usually be solved by creating the
> necessary symbolic links in the libraries directory.
> Email me if you face any problems.

10.1 has not been released yet, so I urge you to avoid it. There is more to
lose than to gain at this beta stage. I am not convinced that version 10
offers /tremendous/ benefits and advantages over 9.3.

My suggestion to you would be: install 9.3 and have things working as
expected. As 9.3 is relatively out-of-date, rest assured that the software
vendor will build the software for version 10 (which /may/ also be fully
compatible, so consider experimenting), at which stage you can upgrade your
O/S (a painless, effortless, and largely automatic process).

Do not forget to urge your vendor to supply a newer version of the software,
as well. You must make it evident that there is a market out there to be
won. The vendor might argue that the current build is /already/ compatible
with version 10. If not, building it for version 10 will not be hard. It
just requires some prodding.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Windows: backward-compatible, even for viruses
  1:45pm  up 3 days 20:42,  12 users,  load average: 0.24, 0.59, 0.69