Re: Alexa (Moving to Live.com?)

  • Subject: Re: Alexa (Moving to Live.com?)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 18:10:07 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
__/ [ Big Bill ] on Saturday 29 April 2006 20:19 \__

> On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 18:58:17 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>__/ [ DJ ] on Saturday 29 April 2006 18:46 \__
>>
>>> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

>>http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/28/technology/28soft.html&OQ=_rQ3D1&OP=7574baa1Q2F6tJr6R-Q7Clm--uv6vFFn6FQ3E6vE6uJQ7Cxi-q-Q24Q606vEl-Q5DuBxuQ22q

>>> Looks like it taking msn results - a big step backwards for Alexa - msn
>>> results in my opinion are pretty poor compared with google.
>>
>>You encouraged me to write about it, eventually <
>>http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2006/04/29/a9-alexa-microsoft-live/
>>>. Thanks for the heads-up.
>>
>>I used to recommend A9 for those with high-speed connections I quite liked
>>the image view (reminds me of < http://bettersearch.g-blog.net/ >), which
>>complemented the SERP that was a Google twin with extra widgets (site info,
>>related sites, traffic ranks, etc.). Without quality results (deep,
>>inquisitive, as oppose to shallow), I might as well just stick with
>>Wikipedia/Google/Scroogle. Wait until deploration among A9 loyals begins.
>>
>>I happened to notice that A9 are finally doing some Wikipedia harvesting as
>>well (albeit it's optional).

Addendum: the following has just been published. It includes many intersting
speculations from across the blogsphere and media.

http://news.com.com/2061-11199_3-6066844.html?part=rss&tag=6066844&subj=news

Amazon switches search partners

,----[ Quote ]
`----

> What's the way that Amazon determine the "like that" choices, you
> know, people who bought that book also bought, etc? What's the proper
> name for it?

I think they are using users' profile/history to study correlation between
books. They have a large sample set to learn from. It's a bit like spam
filters, only in a positive setting.

It's probably somewhat of a contextual reference. I am not sure what they
call it, but they patented the idea, which I think is outrageous. I opine
that since the very dawn of time people knew that people's past preferences
reflected on future preferences and friends' choices could be treated as
though they were recommendations. Amazon's patent is the electronic
equivalent, only phrased more eloquently and technically in a patent
application, which I believe was filed and authorised. Courts will tell if
its value holds.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Free 3-D Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
  6:00pm  up 4 days  0:57,  13 users,  load average: 0.25, 0.48, 0.66