Re: [News] Another Win for Open Source

__/ [ John Bailo ] on Tuesday 02 May 2006 15:16 \__

http://www.thestreet.com/_googlen/tech/software/10282812.html?cm_ven=GOOGLEN&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA

>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Competition from open-source software may prove to be a bigger threat
>> | to Mercury Interactive than the internal problems that led to the
>> | company's delisting by Nasdaq in January.
>> `----
>>
>> Close-source software appears to be headed for doom. Just to think that I
>> had a couple of interviews with Mercury Interactive back when I was 21...
>> all of these proprietary-reliant companies are sinking, sooner or later.
>
> Great, now there's even fewer competitors to Microsoft.

Mercury Interactive have many clients on Windows (they also do UNIX/Linux).
If they fail, Open Source rivals (with their products) will revel on this
failure and migrate to Open Source platforms. The same applies to SAP who
recently hugged and kissed with Microsoft, as always. They have been
sticking it to GNU/Linux for quite some time. On the other hand you have
companies like Oracle and IBM who sidle with Open Source (despite
skepticism) rather than fight it. If you don't join forces with a rising
enemy, you will ultimately lose. More and more companies realise it and
adapt to a so-called 'Open Source strategy'.

Look at the large number of projects that now consider Open Source or
altogether open up: Mac's proposed filesystem, maybe GFS (Google's resilient
filesystem) and much of the rest from Google (which they put on
Sourceforge), Open Source Java, Xara Extreme GPL, Lego and so forth. There
are many obscure companies that come up _several times a day_ with headlines
and stories describing their move to Open Source and opening of their
long-standing products (code) to the public eye. Some are _both_ free _and_
Open Source, but I rarely ever post these to C.O.L.A., if ever. But it's
happening... they all evolve to change... even Microsoft have begun to bend.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Disk quota exceeded; sig discontinued"
  3:35pm  up 4 days 22:32,  11 users,  load average: 0.72, 0.28, 0.21