Re: Red Hat to Debian Conversion

  • Subject: Re: Red Hat to Debian Conversion
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 21:40:47 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ ws ] on Tuesday 02 May 2006 21:31 \__

> thad01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> After playing around with a Debian system recently, I've really grown
>> to appreciate apt-get and the Debian way of doing things... reminds me
>> a bit of my FreeBSD days.  It also has be considering a conversion of
>> my primary co-lo server over to Debian from the Fedora Core it is
>> running now.  Of course the practical 'if it aint broke dont fix it'
>> side of me says otherwise.
>
> Yup.
>
>> Perhaps there is a happy middle road?  Can I reconfigure my Fedora
>> system to use apt-get for easy upgrade in the future?
>
> One word: yum
>
>>  It handles
>> multiple virtual domains, application servers, routes email, etc...
>> so I am understandably reluctant to do anything that might
>> unnecessarily tip the apple cart.
>
> DO try on a test machine before you do anything to your live system!
>
> http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/yum/

Assuming a /single/ (as opposed to an array or cluster of) strong and
expensive server is in question, a test machine would be both expensive to
buy and a pain to maintain in tandem (replicating the system state). Unless
there are new important features to gain, go by the proverbial statement:
"if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Updates and security are another matter.

Just my opinion,