Re: Google Dance - An Early Alarm

  • Subject: Re: Google Dance - An Early Alarm
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 08:57:45 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
__/ [ Big Bill ] on Wednesday 03 May 2006 08:25 \__

> On 2 May 2006 22:38:17 -0700, "cordial_camaraderie"
> <cordial_camaraderie@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>>From last 5 days I am seeing that I have different ranks at different
>>data centers
>>
>>these data centers show me at lowe position
>>72.14.207.99
>>72.14.207.104
>>72.14.207.107
>>64.233.167.99
>>64.233.167.104
>>
>>What should I think for this...... What should be my precausive step...
>>such that I could maintain my rank..
>>Can we do data center specific optimization ??
>
> No. Just do the best you can. You'll be at different ranks across the
> DCs until they eventually decide where you (and everyone else) should
> be. It's something you have to expect now and then. The environment
> itself is volatile.
>
> BB

You have absolutely no control over which datacentre gets assigned to the
user, unless you let visitors use internal site search and can route them to
datacentres you favour. Another other option is to 'eliminate' those
datacentres, but Google make it hard to put a (city) name on the number. I
wonder if there's some table somewhere -- one for IP-location
correspondences... could be intersting if you want to learn about the
inter-datacenter relationships. For example, data will migrate faster from
Chicago to New York, whereas it will advance more slowly when heading
towards Europe.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU is Not UNIX  ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  8:50am  up 5 days 15:47,  11 users,  load average: 0.69, 0.66, 0.62