Re: FTP client that is able to ignore hidden directories in Windows XP

  • Subject: Re: FTP client that is able to ignore hidden directories in Windows XP
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 13:02:41 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.www.webmaster
__/ [ Brian Cryer ] on Wednesday 03 May 2006 12:04 \__

> "Debbie Croft" <debbie.croft@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>I use the SVN source control system to manage my website. It places .svn
>> directories in every source directory - and marks then with the "hidden"
>> file attribute. However, Filezilla (which I use) does ignores this
>> attribute
>> (for directories), so all the .svn files get uploaded when I upload the
>> entire site.
>>
>> Is there an FTP client available that can be set to ignore hidden
>> *directories* (in XP) during uploads? Alternatively, an FTP client that
>> allowed me to set a filter to ignore .svn directories on upload would
>> work.
>> I know that the next version of Filezilla (3) will address my problems,
>> but
>> I need a solution in the mean time.
>
> Unfortunately not the current, but the next version of Web Site Publisher,
> which is currently in beta-test, will allow you to specify filters for what
> directories not to copy. Its not a conventional FTP client, but an
> intelligent uploader. If it looks like it might be what you are after then
> go to my website, find a contact email address (any), use it to email me
> and I'll send you a copy of the beta release.

gFTP: go to Options -> untick "Show hidden files".

This will match the pattern ".[0-z]*" and exclude/filter.

Mind you, gFTP also supports multithreading. *smile* Another option is
Konqueror, which supports multi-threading and enables you to exclude hidden
directories.

"View" menu -> "Show hidden file" (toggle to dis/enable)

As a kind reminder, for much of that file permission notion in UNIX/Linux
(and derivates) servers, you ought to use tools that are aware of the
corresponding filesystem. You otherwise cannot preserve all the information
that is associated with stored files. The transfers can rapidly become
lossy.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Reversi for Linux/Win32: http://othellomaster.com
 12:55pm  up 5 days 19:52,  12 users,  load average: 0.34, 0.59, 0.65