Re: Microsoft chief urges bosses to get sacking

  • Subject: Re: Microsoft chief urges bosses to get sacking
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 06:25:05 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Thursday 04 May 2006 01:29 \__

> "STEVE BALLMER, the chief executive of Microsoft, urged British
> businessmen yesterday to follow his example and sack as many
> underperforming staff as possible each year.

Take Google as a contrary example. Each employee gets an entire day to do
whatever is perceived as "a cool idea". Many employees are blogging as well,
so long as they don't leak sensitive information.

On the contrary (with emphasis on the first sentence):

http://www.dhalgren.com/Doom/ch12.html

,----[ Quote ]
`----

> "Mr Ballmer, whose personal worth is $14 billion (£7.8 billion) and
> who seeks to dismiss 6.5 per cent of his global workforce every year,
> said of the best number of staff to axe: 'Whatever you think you can do
> better with, you should double that.'
>
> "Microsoft, which has 61,000 employees, aims to push out 6.5 per cent
> of its staff each year who are not doing their jobs well enough, Mr
> Ballmer has been quoted as saying....

The greed.

> "Mr Ballmer has moved a step further by championing it as a business
> goal for all. He said that when he joined Bill Gates at Microsoft 26
> years ago there were only 30 employees, but that 'most of them
> weren't very good'."
>
> http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,5-2153181.html

A knowledgeable guy from AISE (another newsgroup) posted the following
several hours ago (in reply to one of my Google rants):

__/ [ Jim Carlock ] on Thursday 04 May 2006 01:40 \__