Re: [News] Internet Explorer Attempts to 'Pull a Netscape'

__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Thursday 04 May 2006 05:00 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, High Plains Thumper
> <hpt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Thu, 04 May 2006 05:11:25 +0900
> <e3b2mc$hnn$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> Google searches for Microsoft limits
>>>
>>> Paper says the search firm has told regulators it worries about MSN being
>>> the default for Internet Explorer.
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]

>>> `----

http://money.cnn.com/2006/05/01/technology/google_microsoft/index.htm?section=cnn_tech

Also see a broader-yet-deeper take:

`----

>> [quote] Microsoft told the Times that giving users of the new version of
>> [IE
>> an open-ended choice could add complexity and confusion to the browser
>> set-up process, while offering a few options would be arbitrarily
>> limiting.
>> [/quote]
>>
>> Any other choice besides M$ confuses the user?

How convenient an argument... choice becomes evil. Do you see the irony?

> Well of course it does.  Just plug in the computer and
> get infected.  Ease of use and all that.  MSN is the best
> search engine out there, and that other Betty Boopish thing
> is a passing fad, along with That Screamer, Canine Dump,
> and The Retired Butler.
>
> Of course MSN probably stands for "Messy Spaghetti
> Noodles" over at Google, "Must Steal News" at Yahoo!,
> "Many Sloppy Naps" at AskJeeves, and "Moldy S**t Nuggets"
> at Dogpile. :-)

Dogpile.com - its creator must have foreseen its vocation when the name was
conceived.

That aside, isn't the user confused when urged to use Internet Explorer and
pr0nographic 'delights' begin to come up arbitrarily?

> Personally, I use Google.  It's the least cluttered of the
> engines out there, barring maybe turbo10.com which touts
> "search the deep net" (and leverages the results of its
> competitors, apparently).

I fully agree. I occasionally test the waters and Google is /still/ best bar
none, by a noticeable gap. Studies have become so dull because of their
uniform conclusions and findings. Now you have them occasional oddities,
which are attempts of studies to stand out. Handle with care. Be skeptic.

> The interface is actually quite interesting.

I am worried that Joe Average might /actually/ favour the clucky,
unbelievable unusable interface of live.com search. Google adhere to
simplicity for the sake of speed and broad device/screen/accessibility
friendliness (it still fails validation though). I suspect that Joe Average
might not care. Joe might stick with whatever IE7 'channels' him to.

Another illustration of how a stronger, better competitor can be muscled out.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
  7:20am  up 6 days 14:17,  13 users,  load average: 0.85, 0.79, 0.84