Re: [News] Microsoft Sell "Crippleware" to Poor Countries

__/ [ Erik Funkenbusch ] on Thursday 04 May 2006 07:39 \__

> On Thu, 04 May 2006 05:22:51 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Microsoft selling hobbled software to poor countries
>
> When this subject comes up, i'm reminded of the mouse market in the late
> 80's and 90's.  Companies like Logitech made expensive "professional" mice,
> but they were ignoring the lucrative "cheap" market.  They couldn't sell
> their expensive mice for cheap prices without cutting into their profit
> margins, so they created a "spinoff" company, called Dexxa, which sold
> virtually identical mice innerds in different external packaging for a
> fraction of the price.
>
> If Microsoft were smart, they'd create a subsidiary or spinoff company to
> sell a cheap version of Windows.

That company already exists... many of them actually...

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2120059/pirates-crack-windows-xp-service-pack

As a side note, as much as I hate it, these authenticity checks will only
encourage the prevalence of *MORE* unpatched systems. To us Linux users,
this means *far* more spam and *far* more DDOS attacks (primarily affecting
sysadmins and even Webmasters like yourself). Approximately 10 million
'Webmasters' (bloggers) had a downtime yesterday, due to Windows flaws
(DDOS). I was a victim myself last year, for a duration of /months/.

To Windows user I say: do me a fricken favour and either:

* pay to patch your s**tty software

OR

* use free software which is far more secure and you can also afford.

Best wishes,