Re: Google ran out of capacity?

__/ [ tonnie ] on Thursday 04 May 2006 21:56 \__

> www.1-script.com wrote:
>> Interesting discussion going on on Webmaster's world:
>>
>> http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum30/34147.htm
>>
>> titled "Google CEO admits, "We have a huge machine crisis ", a sort of a
>> hardware-inclined angle at Google's recent indexing problems. I know some
>> people in this group would say: ?what indexing problems??, but I have no
>> doubt they are struggling right now.

In terms of crawling, the last time I checked they were only *third* in that
trail which involves Inktomi/Yahoo Slurp and MSN(Bot). The crawling capacity
did not appear to come down. It is the rivals that began crawling like
crazy. Knowing that it's *hardware* in question, could it be that the
world's bandwidth capacity is being exploited and essentially 'stolen' by
some of Google's competitors?

>> Check it out. Interesting read. I personally agree with people saying:
>> "need more space? get rid  of the supplemental cache!". There's more to
>> it, obviously, - you'll see when you get there.
>>
>> I hope it's accessible without login - my browser logs me in by itself, so
>> I wouldn't know.
>
> Why should Google ran out of memory while the storage and capacity of
> data is getting more easier and cheaper?

Pages get more complex, algorithms get more sophisticated, and the extent of
the Web grows exponentially.

> The whole story is based on an attempt to explain what is happening.
> But is nothing more than a "maybe that happend".
>
> Truth is they f.cked up with their latest update, that had to be an
> attempt to get a grip on the exploding traffic. Hence their solution to
> build a cache in wich not only the 'googlebot' is delivering what was
> found on a site, also the visit of Mediapartners and a special blog-bot
> are delivering their data into that cache.
>
> Something went terribly wrong in archiving and evaluating that information.
>
> Next to that, you could have noticed that your site 'in the new
> structure' (not every site is in that structure!) is visited only from 1
> IP instead of visits from different datacentra in the 'old situation'.
>
> This and the earlier mentioned cache problems are creating a huge crisis
> at Google.
>
> Just my 2cents and verry humble opinion!

Intersting opinion, Tonnie.

> I have writen an article about that, unfortunatly it, for the moment, is
> only available in Dutch!

http://vision2form.nl/webontwerp/zoekmachineoptimalisatie/bigdaddy-structuur.html

I was going to use Google for translation (simply because of that American
flag among their icons in GoogleBar), but they do no Dutch.

Use Babelfish instead...

        http://babelfish.altavista.com/

No direct address because they use temporary URL's and embed all in a
frameset.

Many thanks,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Nothing to see in this sig, please move along"
  3:00am  up 7 days  9:57,  15 users,  load average: 0.36, 0.65, 0.72