Re: Palm NOT Dead, Moves to GNU/Linux

On 2006-05-04, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=31423
>
> Title: Palm OS isn't dead, it's just going Linux

 The PalmOS was nice for its time, but it's just not up to multitasking
and such. You could shoehorn cooperative multitasking in without too
much trouble but it's just not the same.

 They did a great job in just about all the design of the UI and so
forth, which is why I'm still using my Palm. They also scored a big win
with making the applications execute-in-place so you don't have to copy
them out of flash or whatever into precious RAM when you run them.

 What I'd do is pretty much what they are already doing - build a Palm
emulator on top of Linux and add some hooks so you can call back and
forth. The Palm stuff as such will gradually fade away.

--

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                                  (313) 227-2317

 "A Georgia State University study shows that U.S. senators have an uncanny
  knack for picking stocks that outpace the overall market. Professor Alan
   Ziobrowski's analysis of senators' financial disclosure data found that
   over a period of six years, the lawmakers outperformed the market by 12
      percent." - http://www.npr.org/features/feature.php?wfId=1751162