Re: PCLinuxOS 0.92 Review

__/ [ Sinister Midget ] on Wednesday 10 May 2006 11:18 \__

> On 2006-05-09, rapskat <rapskat@xxxxxxxxx> posted something concerning:
>> On Tue, 09 May 2006 07:50:28 -0700, tab wrote:
>>
>>> I been using it.
>>> Flatty is using it.
>>> DFS is using it.
>>>
>>> I guess the COLA freaks, still want a command line,
>>> and wonder why the world is not jumping on linux,
>>
>> And where was it that you first heard about PCLOS?
>
> I've tried it, though it was awhile back. I'll try it again sometime.
>
> Having that list to recommend it, though, does it no favors whatsoever.
> Maybe that bunch has been sent to trash it by announcing they use and
> like it?

PCLinuxOS appeals to me only because of its looks. Whether it probes and
detects hardware successfully, I am yet to find out. Mandriva 2006 was
excellent in that respect. Let's not forget that PCLinuxOS is KDE-based and,
judging by a KDE 4 mockup:

http://www.kde-look.org/content/preview.php?preview=1&id=28476&file1=28476-1.jpg&file2=&file3=&name=Kde4+Mockup

Not to mention Plasma, XGL and all the other fun stuff, this may a good path
way forward, eye-candy-wise, if not usability-wise as well. The KDE team is
working with professionals to improve the user experience.

As to some good news, published early this morning:

http://www.technologynewsdaily.com/node/2768

KDE joins the Free Software Foundation

,----[ Quote ]
| KDE and the Free Software Foundation Europe (FSFE) are proud to
| announce their associate status, working together for the promotion
| and protection of Free Software on users' desktops in Europe and
| worldwide.
`----

To GNOME, the raison d'être was (at least in part) the KDE licensing issues.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz     The Holy Bible: http://www.gtk.org/documentation.html
 11:25am  up 12 days 18:22,  8 users,  load average: 0.40, 0.58, 0.58