Re: microsoft on the web

  • Subject: Re: microsoft on the web
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 05:15:32 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.www.webmaster
__/ [ Toby Inkster ] on Tuesday 09 May 2006 21:21 \__

> Paul Watt wrote:
>
>> I've just got back from internet world in earls court and having spoken to
>> various vendors, i noticed that the vast majority of web apps being
>> developed were on microsoft technologies. Could the market place dominance
>> be shifting in Microsofts favour?
>
> Ah -- I thought about going to that, but was a bit too busy at work, and
> none of the keynote presentations appealed enough for me to justify it to
> myself.
>
> Most of the exhibitors are selling Content Management Systems and so
> forth. The big CMSs on LAMP-like platforms are mostly Open Source, and
> wouldn't be interested in being exhibitors at an event like this; the big
> CMSs on Windows/IIS-type platforms are proprietary and thus rely on
> marketing opportunities like this; thus most of the exhibitors' products
> were developed on Microsoft platforms.
>
> Apache is still top dog in the server world by far:

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2006/05/09/may_2006_web_server_survey.html

Well put, Toby. Here's a relevant, very recent article.

,----[ Quote ]
| Apache has overtaken Microsoft as the leading developer of secure
| web servers. Apache now runs on 44.0% of secure web sites, compared to
| 43.8% for Microsoft.
|
| As the original developers of the SSL protocol, Netscape started out
| with a lead in the SSL server market. But they were soon overtaken
| by Microsoft's Internet Information Server, which within a few years
| held a steady 40-50% of the SSL server market.
`----

                                http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/6535

Meanwhile, LAMP-based application rely on support and tailoring for customers
for income. The code sells itself for no cost over the Internet, so as I
said earlier, exhibitions provide little or no worthy opportunities.

--
foo bar
  5:10am  up 12 days 12:07,  7 users,  load average: 0.61, 0.40, 0.39