Re: [News] Another Microsoft Product Delayed: Cluster Server

__/ [ Linonut ] on Tuesday 09 May 2006 12:47 \__

http://news.com.com/2110-1010_3-6069934.html?part=rss&tag=6069934&subj=news

>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The product, which was originally expected last year, is now slated to
>> | be finalized by June, with about 30 customers already testing the
>> | software.
>> `----
>>
>> It's difficult enough to keep just /one/ Windows machine running. Now they
>> expect an _entire cluster_ to collaborate? *LOL*
>
> One fellow replies:
>
>    In all honesty
>    Reader post by: David Thomas
>    Posted on: May 9, 2006, 4:37 AM PDT
>    Story: Supercomputer version of Windows nears release
>
>    Microsoft has no experience, other than the beta testing, in this
>    arena. Given their track record with their operating systems to date,
>    it is truly a scary proposition.
>
>    In addition, as one poster made clear, all the supercomputing
>    experience is on other operating systems with a long history of
>    success. How in the world, with their pricing structures, strong
>    paternalistic attitude, history of trying to manipulate the market
>    place, (etc) do they expect to make a serious dent in this market. It
>    is full of tech savvy people who, for the most part, have a disdain
>    for Windows.
>
>    I will be surprised if I am proven wrong. But I have a strange
>    feeling, I won't be. It's their track record. A major fowl up in this
>    arena just won't be forgiven, at all.

Never mind computational servers and supercomputing. Look how bad they are
performing  'in  the  wild' as far as Web servers (IIS) and  mail  servers
(Exchange)  are  concerned.  These  provide services that  can  afford  no
downtime and, very often, boy do they fail (links as backing upon demand).
To  make matters worse, in supercomputers there are interdependencies,  so
one  machine  depends on another, though they are not necessarily  chained
(they can sometimes recover).

Bill  Gates had a dream, so he made a bold statement last year. This  one,
however,  will never come true. Supercomputers are one type of toy that he
can  never gain possions of... unless he runs one in his mansion and  then
runs off to an adjacent room to jerk himself off.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Hack to learn, don't learn to hack"
  1:15pm  up 11 days 20:12,  7 users,  load average: 0.48, 0.46, 0.26