Re: The Microsoft Search Tar Pit (Dvorak)

__/ [ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Tuesday 09 May 2006 02:17 \__

> "I got into a huge argument with West Coast Editor Sebastian Rupley on
> the most recent weekly CrankyGeeks videocast/podcast last Thursday,
> when he asserted that Web search was in some way a good business for
> Microsoft. The company has continued to pursue it in every way
> possible, including upgrades to the miserable Internet Explorer
> browser, which I consider 'The Great Microsoft Blunder.'
>
> "...As someone who runs a popular blog with around two million page
> views a month, I look at endless stat packages and the results. One of
> the most interesting systems runs on the server and identifies the
> search engine bots as they pass through to index the site. Microsoft's
> bots are not even number two. So who are they kidding?
>
> "Here's a screen shot from one day last week. Note that Google pounded
> the site 2,180 times, Yahoo hit it 218 times and MSN hit it 93 times.
> While 93 shots is probably more than adequate for a blog the fact is
> that Google is probably hitting all the sites 20 times as often as
> MSN."

That's total BS. Dvorak is probably judging the entire World Wide Web by his
dvorak.org domain, which is filled with tabloid material and is currently
run by about 5 contributing editors. Much of the time, it seems to bash
celebrities and promote/deter political moves. Is used to be a nice little
place back in 2004 when I first found it and even exchanged some E-mails
with Dvorak. Ever since, it has only been fed by blogrolls (link
exchange/farm technique), which boost google rankings (the term
googlebombing would not fit here).

Judging by my main domain in the month of April:

Inktomi Slurp   57115+4104      896.12 MB       30 Apr 2006 - 23:56
Googlebot       55223+35        713.14 MB       30 Apr 2006 - 23:59
MSNBot          52886+1059      1.19 GB         30 Apr 2006 - 23:55

Perhaps the reluctance to crawl dvorak.org is in fact an indication of
/quality/. That site is HotLinking merely any item of graphics/video and it
contain many exaggerations; deceiving titles; inaccuracies; as well as
obscenities.

Dvorak loses his credibility. Again. He only ever opens his month to create a
buzz and find appeal through controversies. (*cough* Open-Source Vista)

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
  4:40am  up 11 days 11:37,  8 users,  load average: 1.84, 1.39, 1.03