Re: Linux trumps OS X

__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Tuesday 09 May 2006 01:00 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, John A. Bailo
> <jabailo@xxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Mon, 08 May 2006 13:23:13 -0700
> <y5WdnX6bgZoONcLZ4p2dnA@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>
>> "Which is faster for stats, Linux or Apple's OS X?
>>
>> Linux, says Jasjeet Sekhon, associate professor, Travers Department of
>> Political Science Survey Research Center at UC Berkeley."
>>
>> http://www.p2pnet.net/story/8723
>>

> The webpage also includes WinXP.  Benchmark 1 shows OSX Core Duo
> to be the slowest, Linux Opteron to be the fastest, with XP in the middle.
> Benchmark 2 shows Linux P4 to be the slowest and OSX Core Duo to be
> the second slowest, XP in the middle again and Linux Core Duo to be the
> fastest.
>
> Windows XP.  When one wants to be squeezed in the middle. :-)

To  be  fair, this depends on many factors: the programming language,  the
way  in  which  the program was compiled (or, in some  cases,  *both*  the
application  which  interprets  the code *and* the code),  the  number  of
background processes and even the nature of the computation.

With  bloat, I doubt that Mac OS X can ever win benchmarks as such. It  is
an  operation system that in its core and concept is more about flash than
substance.  Technical people will not deny the fact that Macs are far  too
expensive  to  be  used as affordable computational servers (or  an  array
thereof). Linux, on the other hand, has origins in datacentres where flash
was  (historically)  unimportant and fast delivery of files, execution  of
files  (e.g. PHP Hypertext Preprocessor), and efficient processing of data
was a clear priority. Stability and freedom from intervention was another.
On  the  third *cough* hand, Windows was intended to bring computers  into
the homes, at lease at the time (so did the Macs).

I suppose the conclusion one can make is that Linux *was*, and still *is*,
the  platform  for work to be done quickly. Performance-wise, Windows  may
indeed  be  stuck  in  the middle. For this argument  I  leave  aside  the
off-topic  discussion  where  one would prove Macs and GNONE  to  be  more
user-friendly  than  Windows  XP, which leaves Microsoft a  winner  in  no
department (other than marketing). But what *else* is new?

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: There are five regular polyhedra
  4:10am  up 11 days 11:07,  8 users,  load average: 0.74, 0.71, 0.70