Re: MS - Leave No Turd Unstoned

__/ [ B Gruff ] on Monday 08 May 2006 13:46 \__

,----[ Snippet ]
| Death to illegal software suppliers
|
| We all know that software pirates and those who distribute illicit copies
| of top-notch applications are threatening to undermine the very
| foundations on which western democracy stands.
|
| Sadly, in the UK at least, if caught they stand to get little more than
| a fine and a slap on the wrist - a far cry from the days when you could
| be deported to the Antipodes for even thinking about bootlegging
| Microsoft Office XP Premium Deluxe CEO Platinum Edition?, or
| birched senseless for an illegal Powerpoint presentation.
`----

This doesn't make much sense. Take this a step further if you will...

        If anyone using illegal software (or software illegally) was to be stoned,
nothing but Penguins would walk this planet Earth.

To be less satirical, I am not entirely sure that this move will be
appreciated by Microsoft. Sure they will carry on with crocodile tears, but
true facts explain this more clearly. To repeat the content of a recent post
of mine:

http://www.infopackets.com/channels/en/windows/gazette/2006/20060429_how_piracy_helps_microsoft_make_billions.htm

Title: How Piracy Helps Microsoft Make Billions

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft estimates it lost $14 billion last year to software piracy.
|
| The loss may prove to be the most profitable sales never made.
|
| Although the world's largest software producer spends millions every year
| to combat illegal reproduction of its products, piracy helps the company
| to establish itself in emerging markets and fend off threats from
| free open-source programs. (Source: LAtimes.com)
`----

Points to:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-micropiracy9apr09,0,414067.story?track=tottext

Title: How Piracy Opens Doors for Windows

,----[ Summary ]