Re: Italics for book titles and foreign words

  • Subject: Re: Italics for book titles and foreign words
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 07:58:27 +0100
  • Newsgroups: uk.net.web.authoring
__/ [ D.M. Procida ] on Sunday 07 May 2006 23:06 \__

> Print has managed very well by using italics for book titles and foreign
> words, and it is a convention which has endured. Italics doesn't always
> look too nice on-screen though. What do people prefer to use for this
> purpose?

In my opinion, this is a matter of what fonts are being used, as well as the
default font size. This needs careful testing under many Web browsers and
platforms however. I sometimes prefer to inherit bits of CSS from sites that
have done all that cross-browser/platform work /already/, e.g.:

h3 {
        margin: auto;
        text-align: center;
        font-family: Georgia, "Times New Roman", Times, serif;
        font-size: 7em;
        font-weight: normal
}

How about the following for italics?