Re: Linux Books: Free as in Free Beer

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> __/ [ George Ellison (undercover) ] on Sunday 07 May 2006 14:41 \__
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>> Pictorial desktop Linux books available for free download
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]

>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS6203677543.html
>>>
>>> Note: screen-quality PDF is free, print-quality (27MB) is not.
>>
>> I have nothing but the utmost pity for anyone who needs a friggin book
>> to 'get up to speed' with Linspire. It's pretty much point-n-shoot.
>
> That's just what I tell my mom about Thunderbird, but she never wants to
> /explore/ an application unless  she has a soft cover book at hand, from
> which she can learn step-by-step.  It is something to do with antiquated
> notions and mental barriers.

I still prefer so sit down and read a book when it comes to either new
computer languages or operating system. I found it far easy to get into the
comfort zone with linux once I had managed to find the right book and read
it. For me the online help comes into it's own when I am trying to either
understand or solve a particular problems. Here Linux, and specifically
(k)ubuntu, have some *excellent* (and friendly) resources.

For applications I am happy to use the online help when required, but for
meatier subjects you can't beat a good (paper) book :-).

May be it's an age thing I don't know?

--
Regards,

http://za1012001.googlepages.com/home