Re: Walmart Linux computers - what's the experience?

  • Subject: Re: Walmart Linux computers - what's the experience?
  • From: "Larry Qualig" <lqualig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 7 May 2006 07:03:51 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> __/ [ Larry Qualig ] on Sunday 07 May 2006 14:49 \__
>
> > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> >> __/ [ Cyberwasteland ] on Sunday 07 May 2006 03:20 \__

> >> How do you do?

> >> Linux  was  received warmly by the customers, who clearly bought it for  a
> >> reason.  Other than gaining actual ownership of their data, there was an
> >> improvement  in reliability, resilience, and flexibility.
> >
> > I didn't see the <sarcasm> tags here so I have to disagree. There are
> > many Linux users who do feel strongly about what you mention (ownership
> > of their data, flexibility, resilience, etc.) but these people that you
> > just described won't be running out to Walmart to buy their next
> > system. The people you just described already have a good amount of
> > computer knowledge and will likely buy a better system for less money
> > elsewhere (over the internet)... even it if means installing their own
> > distro which won't be the one that Walmart pre-installs.
> >
> > Most Walmart shoppers buy the computer because it's $20 or $30 cheaper.
>
> No <sarcasm> tag was needed. I impulsively beg to differ.
>
> The  most average among the folks at Joe Averageville will walk away  from
> Walmart  with  a shiny Linspire machine, which is reminiscent of  Windows,
> but gives less of a hassle.
>
> Mind  you, everything is already installed. Joe will rarely be a long-time
> Photoshop  user.  He will happily be surfing the Web, checking his  E-mail
> (very likely Web-based), and compose documents. No need for serial numbers
> for a cracked copy of Office; No need to wipe and restore factory defaults
> whenever a virus hits the machine and slows it down to its demise; No need
> for  pricey  software  and knowledge of common  software/Web  sites  (e.g.
> adobe.com) as Synaptic/YaST/other centralise all and make it a box-ticking
> job.

I don't necessarily disagree with this but you just described a
completely different customer. Here is an "average Joe" who likely
doesn't know much about Linux but will likely be happy with his/her
purchase.

The original customer you described is the person who's already aware
of Linux and seeks "to own their own data, scalability, resilience,
etc."  People who think this way have likely already been exposed to
Linux for some time and are not shopping at Walmart to bring home that
shiney new Linspire machine.