Re: Treo 600 to 650

  • Subject: Re: Treo 600 to 650
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 12:20:49 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot
Context: Hi have purchased a 650 now what is the best way to save contacts
from the 600 and add them to the 650?

__/ [ Peter D ] on Sunday 07 May 2006 09:54 \__

>>It is alleged that Harry Eugene Ly claimed:
>>
>>> Hotsynch your old Treo 600 to your PC and then install the new hotsynch
>>> software from your Treo 650 and perform a hotsynch with your new Treo
>>> 650.
>>
>>NO! Do NOT do that!
>>
>>There ARE incompatibilities between the two devices.
>>
>>Follow the instructions that came with the 650 and move your backup
>>folder to another location.  THEN upgrade the software, swap hardware
>>and sync to restore your PIM data.
>>
>>Then +reinstall+ your old apps and data, slowly over time, to make sure
>>that if something goes wonky, you'll have a good idea what caused it.
>>
>>Unless you're already running the newest versions of all your software,
>>and it's been updated for NVFS and the new PIM databases (if using a
>>ROM-replacement (DateBk5, forex), there are programs that will cause
>>problems, or not be able to make proper use of the new stuff.
>>
>>Specifically, calendar and contact replacement programs that have not
>>been updated for the new devices +will+ run into problems with the
>>"Datamanager patch".
>
> In article <gi8o52lfpgk732o8642v5m91kmlstb6mu1@xxxxxxxxxx>, Jeffrey Kaplan
> <postmaster@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Many thanks for every ones help and it looks like all has been carried over
> (contacts that is).

Be  sure to check each of the applications you depend on. In past upgrades
of  mine (different in nature nonetheless), I came to find some quirks and
oddities,  if  not complete disability to launch old programs which I  had
used  for years. Some crashed the device whereas others exited gracefully.
Better find out sooner than later.

Best wishes and good luck,