Re: installing and uninstalling on Linux

  • Subject: Re: installing and uninstalling on Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 08:08:13 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
__/ [ BlackTopBum ] on Sunday 07 May 2006 00:36 \__

> John Salerno said something like a ...
>
>> I'm thinking of Ubuntu specifically, if that matters. My question is,
>> when you install something, can you just download and install things
>> straight from the internet yourself, or does Linux have download
>> managers that you have to use to get software through?
>>
> Both. I your case there's apt-get / Synaptic to manage software. You can
> get the programs for installing via several sources on the net.

Just for further clarification, I would rephrase that to say "you can get
programs" (dropping the "the"). The above seems to imply that a Ubuntu user
needs to download the download managers. They are included in the core.

Ambiguities are a pet peeve of mine, so I wish for future readers (e.g.
errant Web search users) not to be misled.

>> Secondly, when uninstalling, are things removed completely, or are there
>> still remnants left around like on Windows (such as directories,
>> 'registry' type stuff, etc.)?
>
> Usually there's nothing left on  /  after un-installing, but sometimes
> there may be a new config or data file added to the directory in question
> which will remain. Typically, there is an on screen message about the file.
> Also, in the users directory there will be a folder for the program IF the
> user executed the application. Most of the time the folder will contain the
> program's name - e.g.:
> .pan/messages/cache/left-over-newsgroup-messages-which-were-read.

Precisely. That said, the 'leftover' settings serve you well in case you
re-install the software. Unlike Windows, for example, such physical files do
not lead to bloat. When I say "bloat" I am referring to a slowdown due to
traversal of the Windows Registry tree/database. With increased number of
(typically tiny) files, there is plenty to be gained. If you are
uninterested in pan settings, just run for example:

,----[ Command ]
| rm -rf .pan
`----

after installation (or use the file manager GUI). Your settings are of course
your data (even if this means your window dimension settings). It is /you/
who needs to /choose/ to wipe them for good.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | HTML is for page layout, not for textual messages
  8:00am  up 9 days 14:57,  12 users,  load average: 0.82, 0.61, 0.57