Re: [News] The Universe on Your Linux Desktop

__/ [ Jim ] on Saturday 06 May 2006 16:17 \__

> nick wrote:
>> Mark Kent wrote:
>>
>>>begin  oe_protect.scr
>>>Mathew P. <Mathew@xxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>>It's truly excellent - I've been using it for some time.  There're other
>>>good astronomy packages for linux, too, but this one is the best, in my
>>>view.
>>>

>> Visually it's nice - but KStars wins for functionality:
>>
>> - Larger object database
>> - Telescope control
>> - CCD camera control
>> - Image fetches from various online image DBs including HST, DSS1, DSS2
>> and others. Just right click on the object ...
>>

> - imports data from raw JPL files (eg Tycho II). I've got that very same
> database loaded into KStars, which I leave loaded on a 2.0 P4m with its
> 1GB of RAM, otherwise it takes an hour to load the 700MB database (80
> million plus objects) into RAM.

KStars....hmmm... haven't run that program for over 2 years (although it
exists in my menus). Other for professional and educational purposes, I
wonder if I could ever find that entertaining. When I come to think of it, I
must be using just 20% of the large-scale applications that come bundled
with SuSE. The rest are JRE apps and miscellaneous programs that come from
independent developers... I think I could throw away SuSE and go with
Kubuntu any time now...

Sorry to have gone off-topic. Frankly, this wasn't intentional though my mind
drifted away and the finger kept tapping.

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Spam enchanted evening..."
  5:30pm  up 9 days  0:27,  14 users,  load average: 0.55, 0.53, 0.53