Re: COLA Stats 30 Apr 2006

  • Subject: Re: COLA Stats 30 Apr 2006
  • From: rgc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Roy Culley)
  • Date: Sat, 6 May 2006 02:56:31 +0200
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
begin  risky.vbs
	<2709242.fLZCOqkKEu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
	Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> __/ [ Roy Culley ] on Thursday 04 May 2006 00:46 \__
>
>> You are still relatively new to COLA. I was a great fan of
>> GreyCloud before he started posting infantile responses. I then
>> killfiled him. When it was pointed out that he was editing quotes,
>> to the detriment of the quoted party of course, I decided to tag
>> him as such in the stats.
>
> Opinion: The stats posted should somehow be representative of the
> group's sentiments (yes, I'm new here, I know). Otherwise, these
> should be titled "Roy Culley's Stats". The Sender field is not
> enough; again, _in my humble opinion_.  There is a certain danger
> when only one person gets a vote and is merely reflecting his/her
> killfile to the public while making it seem objective.

My killfile has no affect on the stats. My leafnode filters do but
they mainly kill posts from those using mail to usenet gateways.

> I *did* notice some of Grey's snipping and editing of quotes. I find
> them funny.  Often enough, they serve the offended person right. If
> it involves a confrontation, this would be a fair weapon at times.

Editing someones post when replying is utterly reprehensible. If you
cannot see that then I feel sorry for you.

As for Greycloud, he used to be a really good Linux advocate with
wonderful one liner retorts. He changed to posting what I can only
describe as infantile in may cases obscene replies. Hence I kill filed
him.

> Starting fresh threads with subject lines like "Peter Kohlmann is a
> [blank]" is not any better.  From an archival perspective, it's far
> worse. It can be very damaging.

Damaging to who? I've been the subject of them. Didn't damage me or
anyone else as far as I know. Personal attacks should just be ignored
IMHO.

> As a last point, by adding ALL-UPPERCASE insults, you discourage
> openness and encourage anonymity.

Come on Roy, you ain't that naive surely. Give a single example of
where my 'insults' have caused anyone to nymshift that didn't do so
already.  Just one.

> Anonymous posters have little or no boundaries.  Thus, they insult,
> they practice prejudice, they use fowl language and they start
> "Peter Kohlmann is a [blank]" threads, knowing that Peter Kohlmann
> cannot hit them back in quite the same way.

See above.

> Think about it......
>
> Just my opinion,

Dare I say you are wrong? Back up what you wrote with evidence and I
will believe you.