Re: [Article] - Site launches 'Chinese Wikipedia'

On Fri, 12 May 2006 15:59:30 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>__/ [ Paul B ] on Friday 12 May 2006 15:34 \__
>
>> From : http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4761301.stm
>>
>> China's leading web search company has launched an online,
>> user-generated encyclopedia modelled on the US-based Wikipedia, which
>> is blocked by Beijing.
>> The new service from Baidu.com, Baidupedia, is heavily self-censored
>> to avoid offending the Chinese government.
>>
>> Wikipedia had become increasingly popular in China until blocked in
>> 2005.
>>
>> < snip>
>
>Hey Paul, check out what I happened to notice on the BBC earlier on...
>
>        http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4761789.stm
>
>Title: Google strives for more openness

Hi Roy
Yes, I did see that article. I didn't think it would be of interest in
here.

There is also another one on there about spyware and keywords or
something. (heavy cold to think straight)

>,----[ Quote ]
>| Talking to the BBC, Mr Schmidt also reflected on Google's decision to
>| adhere to Chinese government censorship rules in order to launch its
>| new site in China.
>`----
>
>Look at the title and then have a glance at the article. Do you see the
>paradox?

:o

plh
paul