Re: Don't pirate MS-Office: use ours, says OpenOffice.org

  • Subject: Re: Don't pirate MS-Office: use ours, says OpenOffice.org
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 06:47:26 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ High Plains Thumper ] on Thursday 11 May 2006 00:03 \__

> nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> "'Get legal -- Get OpenOffice.org' is the tagline of a new campaign
>> taking advantage of the recent clampdown against unlicensed software by
>> Microsoft and the BSA...
>
> <SNIP>
>
>> "'If you have a copy of MS-Office at work, at school, at home -- are
>> you sure where it came from?' asks the campaign Web site. 'Fortunately,
>> there is a completely legal and free alternative. OpenOffice.org 2 is a
>> fully featured office suite, similar in functionality to MS-Office.
>> OpenOffice.org 2 does everything you need: word processing,
>> spreadsheets, presentations and much more.'
>
> <SNIP>
>
>> http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/applications/0,39020384,39266768,00.htm
>
> Good find.  This is a positive way for a person to remain productive and be
> compliant against piracy as a valid alternative.  It also provides one with
> open document compatibility for international file exchanges.

That latter is the point which Microsoft will attempt to spin. They will
fight the format (ODF) rather than the product (OpenOffice). They try to
standardise their XML-based formats (if I recall correctly) and they will
most possibly argue that these incorporate and convery more features and
power.

The next few years will be intersting. We will see standards wrestling with
'standards'. Has the Honourable Mr. Slippy been patented yet?

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    #ff0000 Hot Chilli Peppers
  6:40am  up 13 days 13:37,  8 users,  load average: 0.87, 0.55, 0.54